Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Fiber Art Fusion and Allatoona Guild Meeting

Today was a very busy day. First was the Allatoona Guild meeting. This is our general meeting where we have a program and also have a potluck lunch. I made macaroni and cheese yesterday and put in the Nesco so that all I had to do was plug it in at the meeting and it cooked while we met.

We have a couple of new programs going on at guild that are turning out to be very successful. First is a 2 1/2 inch strip swap. We are each cutting 1 yard of fabric into strips. You can get 14 strips from a yard. We are doing a different color each month and this month was red. 29 people brought strips and I swapped them out. It is a simple swapping process and everyone went back with a variety of red strips. Next month is brown.

Last year we exchanged pairs of 6 inch blocks and Tina found a pattern for us to use almost all the blocks. We have a retreat in early March and many of us will be working on this new quilt. It is beautiful scrappy quilt.

The other thing we are doing this year is a birthday club. We have done secret pals for the past few years but interest has been getting lower each year. This year, anyone who wants to commit for a year is in the birthday FQ club. We each gave our fabric preference and have a list of all the birthday members. On your birthday month, each person brings you a FQ, using your fabric preferences as a guide. This month 2 people had birthdays and Phyllis had brought baskets from the goodwill. The FQs were arranged in the baskets and presented to the birthday people. They got over 30 FQs. Wish I didn't have to wait until November.

This evening was the Fiber Art Fusion meeting. I joined this group last year when it was formed but am usually so tired after the first meeting of the day that I don't go. I decided that I really want to participate more in the group and joined a round robin that is starting today. We each covered a 9 x 12 piece of Timex with fabric. The piece gets passed every month to the next person and there are no rules regarding what you can do to it. The sky is the limit as far as embellishments.


Here is my starter. I just couldn't decide what to do to start and finally just fused some of my favorite color of fabric to the piece.

Here is Rebecca's piece. I will always get the next months piece from Rebecca. It is beautiful even without embellishments. I am going to hang it up for a few days before deciding what to add. The color isn't quite right - it is actually more turquoise than blue. Rebecca satin stitched around the edges with a variegated thread but otherwise it is a blank slate. I will post again before I pass it on next month.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely adore the green. It is so cool!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Make sure I have a way to contact you if you have a question.

Related Posts with Thumbnails