Friday, January 08, 2010

Travel Tissue Cover Tutorial

I have been unable to find a tutorial on the web to make these travel tissue covers the way I make them so here is a tutorial for you.

First you need to cut a 5 1/2” by 6 1/2” rectangle of your cover fabric and a 5 1/2” by 7 1/2” rectangle of your lining fabric.

The green is the lining and the stripe is the cover fabric. Next you will sew the lining to the cover, right sides together.

As you see, the lining is larger than the cover fabric. Next turn the tube right sides out and press like in the following photo. You will have approximately 1/4 inch of the lining showing on the top of the cover.

The next thing you will do is fold towards the center of the piece, like this.

and then fold the second side to the center.

Stitch a 1/4” seam along both short ends.

Turn inside out and get your package of travel tissues.

I remove the tissues from the packaging and just stuff them in the cover. First one side -

and then the other.

You are finished but if you want to do just a little more work you can box the corners before you turn it right side out. You fold the corners and stitch a little triangle. If you have made a purse, you have probably done this.

Here is what it looks like with all four corners sewn.

Turn right side out and put your tissues in. These are exactly the same size covers but the pink one has boxed corners and the green one doesn’t.

Either way works but I think the boxed corners make it look more professional.

Let me know if you have any questions and have fun making this quick and easy project for your friends.

Melinda

19 comments:

  1. thanks Melinda, I am going to have to try that, very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will have a try too - I know it sounds stupid but I've avoided making something like this because I thought the tissues wouldn't fit - I never thought to just take them out of the plastic. Now I feel really silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tutorial. I'm going to try your technique while making one for my MIL as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks! i just used your tutorial for little gifts for my son's teachers...the boxed corners really make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I MADE IT!!!! that's my first attempt with the sewing machine, and thanks to your tutorial, I did it!!
    thank you!

    (if you want to see them:
    http://files.splinder.com/d7784d3de5ac05472027a51a79e96420_medium.jpg
    http://files.splinder.com/75b1f13e54cb23c58a9295a1b8189bbb_medium.jpg)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:54 AM

    I guess I am going to use my sewing machine again! This is going to be a nice experience.
    dining room tables

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Can't wait to try this out! Thanks so much!
    Send gifts to pakistan from usa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked how simply the edging was accomplished on the cover. Such a smart idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! Thanks for the tute. I just whipped up 8 of these as gifts in under an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:31 AM

    What a great tutorial. I just made a bunch of these for my son's teachers. I am sharing this link on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial. Yours is the only one I found where you can use your lining fabric as trim. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for this lovely tutorial looks so good with the trim, but so simple to sew

    ReplyDelete
  14. great tutorial, but i do have a question. could you describe to me or show me what exactly are boxed corners? I like the look, but you said to sew a triangle, from where to where?? I feel a little silly asking, as I've sewn for years, but never have heard of boxed corners? thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just Google it. You'll find plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

      Delete
  15. Thank you, I made a dozen in a very short time as last minute gifts. They worked beautifully and were so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. travel to asian countries, travel to asia advisory, travel to asia alone, travel to asia cheap,travel asia holidays
    Thanks for what you have shared here. You can also refer to tourist destinations or beautiful places everywhere below.
    Travel There
    southeast asia travel
    3 leaf grass
    art of life
    lycoris radiata
    Gift of life
    Flowers and Leaves

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have made this dozens of times over the past few years. Thank you for putting together such an awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello and thank you so much for giving this tutorial. I had trouble with this step: "The next thing you will do is fold towards the center of the piece, like this." I looked at this and tried this 10 times. I thought it was some sort of manical origami before I said, just read the next step and see if you can figure it out from there. Then I started to laugh, because what was wrong with my brain? Can I say it was 8:00 am and I hadn't had my coffee yet? :0) These are so cute and I've made a few for my family already. Very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Make sure I have a way to contact you if you have a question.

Related Posts with Thumbnails