Thursday, August 13, 2009

Christmas Block Lottery

Every year at the Allatoona guild we have a block lottery as part of our Christmas party.  We purchase many yards of a fabric and cut it into fat quarters.  We sell for a minimal price, one fat quarter to any interested member.  Each member can then make up to five blocks to put in the lottery.  Each block is to be 12 inches finished and needs to use some of the focus fabric along with whatever the member wants to add from their stash or purchase. 

This year, Mary and I picked out the fabric from Tiny Stitches and there are several coordinating fabrics available if someone wants to buy them.  We ended up buying two focus fabrics and they just had to reach in a bag and take one – no peaking allowed. I bought 1/3 yards of two fabrics to go with my fat quarter.

In November, all blocks need to be turned in and they are then sorted and put together in sets of 12 blocks.  If we have leftovers, we make a smaller grouping that perhaps can be used for a table runner or smaller project.  We choose the winner for this one last.  Limit to win is one set of blocks so once your name is drawn, you are done!  This is a popular part of our Christmas meeting.

I have won blocks two times and am sorry to say that I do not have quilts to show for this.  The blocks are sitting safely in their little baggies waiting for me to come back and make them into quilts. I know one set is traditional and the other reminds me of Jimmy Buffet Christmas with Caribbean colors.  I really prefer the non-traditional fabrics best but both are very nice.

Here is one of the fabrics for this year.

  This is the one I drew out of the bag.  The other is the same colors but a different design on it.  I love the snowmen.  The colors are a little unusual for Christmas but there is red and green!

We have a great time at Allatoona and I am honored to be President this year.

Hugs,

Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Make sure I have a way to contact you if you have a question.

Related Posts with Thumbnails