Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Sharon Schamber

I had the opportunity to take a class from Sharon Schamber on Friday.  She is an interesting person and wonderful teacher.

She comes at quilting from a different perspective than most of us.  She looks at everything from that perspective and finds the most efficient way to do things.  One of the most shocking things she does is dip all her thread in mineral oil – yes, mineral oil.  I haven’t gotten up the nerve to do it yet. I have a spool of white thread that breaks all the time.  In fact, it is in the trash right now.  I plan to pull it out and give it a try.

Her quilts are beyond great – she must be the best quilter in the world.

Melinda

3 comments:

  1. I would swear that she used to say that she would soak her thread in silicone (like Sewer's Aid). Not sure I could do anything that radical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHat did she teach? I have seen photos of her award winning quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard the same thing at the FMQ retreat I was at a while back. I bought the mineral oil and put it in a big mason jar but I keep forgetting to put my thread in it. The person that told me about it said it not only helps the thread but it lubricated your machine as it passes through the thread path. She used the "dipped thread" to wind her bobbins so the bobbin area is also lubricated with the mineral oil. She swears it works.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Make sure I have a way to contact you if you have a question.

Related Posts with Thumbnails