Monday, June 14, 2010

Design Wall Monday – June 14

I actually have two design walls to show today.  First is my exchange blocks from the yearly Piecemakers exchange.  We made string blocks and I requested black and white blocks.

Then after we exchanged blocks, we worked on a couple of quilts to donate.  We each started with two fat quarters, one of aqua and the other brown.  We then cut two 10 inch squares from each FQ and cut the remainder of the FQ into 2 1/2 inch strips.

Then we layered one aqua and one brown square and sewed 1/4 inch around all four sides of the square.  We heavily starched both sides and cut from corner to corner twice.  This gave us 4 large 1/2 square triangles from each sewn block.  Here is what we ended up with.

Then we sewed all the strips together end to end.  We plan to sew them on as borders and do two rows.  Quick and easy and looks great.  We ended up with enough blocks to make 3 or 4 quilt tops.  The other quilt tops have the blocks laid out differently but I didn’t get photos of them.  We will probably have leftover strips and may have enough to sew together into a strippy quilt.

Check out Judy’s blog for the rest of the design walls today.

Melinda

4 comments:

  1. I love the splash of lime and yellow in the string blocks! What a great group project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely group you belong too! great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to amaze (and inspire) me.
    btw I sourced the Christmas Book and its on its way to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun idea for a group project!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Make sure I have a way to contact you if you have a question.

Related Posts with Thumbnails