Monday, May 28, 2012

Design Wall Monday–May 28, 2012

My actual design wall looks the same as last week.  I have sewn a few more blocks together but it still needs work. Hopefully I can finish it this week.

052112-1

I did finish a quilt top and a quilt this week.  First the quilt top.

This started out last week as a Urban Cowgirl jelly roll.  I sewed all the strips together end to end and then did the jelly roll race sewing.  First sewed the long strip together in a long 800 inch seam.  Sewed again making a 400 inch seam, then 200, then 100, then 50.  At that point, I cleaned up the edges and cut the whole thing into three strips.  I added sashing and turned the middle strip upside down.  Sounds confusing but it was very easy and gives it a different look – also makes a larger quilt.  Added borders and it is ready for quilting.

Lastly, I quilted and bound the Scrappy Bargello quilt.  I actually made it in 2008 in a class with Bonnie Hunter.  It sat around for all this time waiting for a border before I realized it didn’t need one.  Quilted it with overall feathers and it it finished!  Here it is hanging out in the front yard (the neighbors think I am crazy).

For more design walls, go to Patchwork Times.  Lots of eye candy!

Melinda

14 comments:

  1. I love the photograph of the quilt in your front yard. It really look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking the neighbors are just envious! :) Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking the neighbors are just envious! :) Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Scrappy Bargello is WONDERFUL. I just did one with shirts. Your version has me thinking I'd like to make another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for the jelly roll race. I have a couple that NEED to be used and mindless sewing is also what I need today. Also, I agree that your neighbors are probably envious. I have decided that when you finish using your green quilt for yor header, you need to send it to me. I lust over it each time I read your blog. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your scrappy bargello quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that scrappy bargello quilt so much...it's so happy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your jelly roll quilt! I might be willing to make one now! The bargello is lovely and so is the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bargello! It looks very happy borderless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your scrappy bargello and also the way you cut the jelly roll into 3 different pieces! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The scrappy bargello is beautiful, love all the bright colors. Congrats on all the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I *LOVE* the sashing on your strip quilt. I may try it on the one I pieced last year at Piecemakers! (Gosh, being friends with you helps me get so much done!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your bright and colorful Scrappy Bargello quilt!!! What a great variety of colors!

    Love from Indiana! ~bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilts are just awesome, I especially like the idea to divide up the jelly roll quilt with some sashing, perfect. I'm going to try that one.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Make sure I have a way to contact you if you have a question.

Related Posts with Thumbnails