Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happy Birthday to My Sister Robin

Robin

Today is my sister’s birthday.  We have a small family, it was just Robin and me growing up.  Since I was 4 1/2 years older than she was, we didn’t have a great deal in common when we were very young.  We did not have any other brothers or sisters.  Our father had colon cancer and we lost him in 1970 when he was only 55 years old.  Our mother lived a good long life and we lost her a little over six years ago at age 89.  So now, it is just the two of us.  Of course we both have children and grandchildren and husbands and friends but from our childhood, we have each other.

Our children were all born within 17 months of each other.  My two were the first and last and her daughter was right in the middle.  They grew up together and consider themselves closer than cousins, even though they live a world apart from San Francisco, to Southern California to Sweden.

We share a lot, including a love of family, quilting and sewing.  Robin is a wonderful designer and has many patterns available.  She is the designer of the Letty’s Bag that you have seen so many photos of in the past couple of months.  We don’t see each other very often but keep in touch with email and phone.  Hardly a day goes by that I don’t talk with her either on the phone or via email.  We both comment on each other’s blogs regularly and I think of her all the time.

In 1999 she decided we should go to a Mary Ellen Hopkins seminar in Las Vegas so we did.  Of course it was in July and about a million degrees but we had a great time.  We have missed some of the annual trips to Las Vegas but we have gone the past several years and are busy planning our week in July this year.  Mary Ellen no longer attends the workshop so we have guest teachers during the week.  Last year, I assisted as Robin taught and this year, both of us will be teaching for a day.  I look forward to my week with Robin all year long and start planning for the next one as soon as I get home each year.

Visit Robin’s blog and wish her a wonderful birthday for me.  I love her dearly!

Melinda

6 comments:

  1. Wow I can't believe how the time flies, it's hard to believe. I've always felt our family was just the right size. Thank you for the wonderful Birthday wishes. I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful birthday tribute from you to your sister! I only have "found" sisters. I was blessed with two brothers, but no blood sisters. The "found" ones are a blessing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so thoughtful!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:03 PM

    Have a super duper groovy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your sister. You are very fortunate to have a sister. It is so wonderful to hear how close you both are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your sister! What a special bond you share! Can you tell me more about the seminar?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Make sure I have a way to contact you if you have a question.

Related Posts with Thumbnails