Thursday, July 02, 2009

Friendship Blocks from Beginner Class

0609 Friendship Stars

0609 Batik Friendship Stars

We worked on half square triangles this week.  Both of them managed to make perfect friendship stars.  The quilt needs three blocks so they will make one or two more at home. 

First they tried Alex Anderson’s method of making the half square triangles where you cut triangles and sew them together.  Next they tried drawing a line on the square and sewing 1/4 inch from each side of the line.  The next method they are going to try is to make them slightly oversized and trim them down.

I also reviewed Thangles and Triangles on a Roll.  All are good ways to make the half square triangles and I use several of them at different times depending on the project I am working on.  What method do you like best?

Melinda

2 comments:

  1. I just ordered some software from the QuiltPro folks (though I use EQ) to make half square triangles, and also quarter square. I have loaded it, but have not sewn it - and it looks like it will be the answer to prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like making them just a bit larger and squaring them up. Everything goes together much better when they are square.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Make sure I have a way to contact you if you have a question.

Related Posts with Thumbnails