I have had this hexie project for over 13 years. I bought a kit at a garage sale when we lived in Illinois and next month we will have been in Georgia for 13 years. It is probably at least 15 years in progress.
When living in Elgin, we spent many weekends at estate auctions and garage sales. I found this kit for a hexagon quilt at a garage sale and the price was $7. All the hexagons were precut (die cut) and the box said there were enough for a king-size quilt. The only problem is that they are somewhat limited in colors and the fabric is polycotton. For $7 I decided to go for it.
Of course, I haven’t been working on it regularly, or even occasionally but there are over 40 of the flowers put together, along with little kits for a lot more. The kit came with white for a patch but the fabric is extremely thin and I just couldn’t make myself do anything with them. I finally decided that I would just start stitching them flower to flower and figure out what I am doing as I go.
Here are the first seven flowers sewn together.
As you can see, the center of each flower is yellow, surrounded by a solid section and then finished with a print. There are a few more prints to use before I start to repeat. I am thinking of starting by sewing them into rows of 7, alternating with 6 and see where to go from there. Not sure what to do about the edges but I will happily accept suggestions or I will worry about it when I get the blocks sewn together.
I don’t care what size it turns out, I would just like it done.