We had a UFO challenge at guild to finish a UFO this year. I had participated in a red and aqua disappearing nine patch swap last year. At the guild retreat earlier in the year, I put the top together. When we had to choose a UFO to complete I decided on this one. Here it is at the retreat.
Now we have to move forward through time to this last Sunday. I decided that since the UFO challenge was due on Tuesday, I better get moving. I purchased an extra wide batik backing – bright red. On Monday afternoon, I quilted it, bound it Monday night and was ready for Tuesday morning. I had planned on making pumpkin roll to share but ended up making a Chess pie Tuesday morning. It must have gone over well because there was none to bring home.
Here is the finished quilt.
As you can see, I didn’t put the blocks together in the usual way. I put four blocks together with the large pieces in the center and then surrounded them with white sashing. I had one fat quarter of an aqua print and that was enough for cornerstones. When I finished the top, I had thought I would add a border but the more I looked at it, the more I realized that it did not need a border. I am happy with it. It is about 70 inches square.