Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Favorite Quilt

I am sure most of you are aware of the Blogger’s Quilt Festival that Amy is running over at her blog.  Over 500 bloggers have posted their favorite quilts.

I finally took a couple of photos of my favorite quilt so I can join in the festival.  My favorite quilt is my Y2K quilt.  If you remember, in 1999 there were a lot of swaps of 2 1/2 or 3 inch squares of fabric.  Most of the time, you sent multiple sets of 25 fabrics and received back as many as you sent but from different swappers.

I decided that I wanted to make a Christmas quilt so traded Christmas fabrics with others until I had 2000 different fabrics.  At some point my definition of Christmas fabrics expanded to anything remotely Christmas – red, green, gold, almost anything. Actually there may be some repeats but I can’t find them and I am not going to try.

Back then, I had a real job and traveled every week.  Flying was much easier then and I carried hexagons with me and worked on them in airports, on airplanes and in hotel rooms.  I bought precut 1 inch hexagons from Paper Pieces and cut the 2 1/2 inch fabrics to baste to the paper.  I then sewed them into blocks of 25 and stacked them up.

Once I had exactly 80 blocks in my stack I started sewing them together.  Unfortunately, 2000 1 inch hexagons is not enough to make a quilt to fit my queen-sized bed so I appliquéd the quilt top to a border.  I then added a second border and the quilt was ready to quilt. 

This was before I had my longarm so I sent the quilt to a great quilter named Shirley in Ohio.  She meandered the center of the quilt and did lovely borders, including pine cones in the green border.

I put this on my bed the day after Thanksgiving and take it off on New Years Day.  I love this quilt.

Christmas Y2K

Christmas Y2K Hexagons

I left the photos large so you can click on them to see it much larger.

I really do love this quilt.

Melinda

12 comments:

  1. Lovely and so much fun to have a Quilt just for the Christmas season. I have a Christmas log cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of fabrics! You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:57 PM

    Lots of work! and I love the prints...great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful and WHAT a lot of work!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful quilt, Well done! So glad you decided to join this fabulous festival

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun quilt, with so many different pieces! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much work - I'm in awe at your tenacity to see this through. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love scrap quilts and Christmas quilts--so naturally, I'm crazy about this one. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwwwwwww...beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas and I bet every one is special with such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:54 AM

    I have just started out to learn English paper piecing, so am in awe of everyone who has actually finished a large quilt stitching by hand like this. Very impressive. I like your solution regarding the borders.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so cool. I haven't finished my 2000 pieces project yet--hopefully this will be the year!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Make sure I have a way to contact you if you have a question.

Related Posts with Thumbnails